Hybrid Pay-As-You-Throw (HPAYT) Waste Collection System
Brookline DPW is Pleased to Announce HPAYT Automated Trash Collection Begins May 30th
In the HPAYT Automated Waste Collection Program, waste carts are collected by a vehicle equipped with an automated arm. The arm lifts the waste cart from the ground and dumps the contents into the vehicle. Subscribers to Town Refuse Collection choose a black waste cart, from a variety of available sizes, that accommodates their weekly trash output. The DPW then delivers the cart to the customer. If a customer has more trash than their waste cart can hold in any given week, they may put any additional garbage in a purple plastic overflow bag imprinted with the Town seal. The overflow bag is placed next to the black trash cart.
HPAYT Pricing Structure
Rather than billing all customers at the same flat rate of $200 per year (as Brookline residents are accustomed), each account is billed at a tiered rate, where the size of the waste cart they choose determines their annual refuse costs. Subscribers will continue to receive quarterly bills.
Three Cart Sizes
- 35 gallon (holds 3 kitchen bags); $190 annually; $47.50 quarterly
- 65 gallon (holds 6 kitchen bags); $252 annually; $63 quarterly
- 95 gallon (holds 10 kitchen bags); $312 annually; $78 quarterly
- 30 gallon; $15 for 5 bags
- Sold in local stores
HPAYT News & Updates
- 3/22/2017: The cart selection period has ended, and no further orders can be accepted. If a waste cart was not selected by the March 13th deadline, one (1) 35 gallon waste cart has been ordered for each residential unit on the account.
- 3/10/2017: The deadline for cart selection has been extended to March 13, 2017.