Fire Prevention Division
The Fire Prevention responsibilities include:
- Enforcement of all fire laws and ordinances
- Issuance of fire safety permits
- Investigation of all fires
- Forwarding of appropriate reports to the state fire marshal
- Education of the public regarding fire prevention topics and techniques
- Management of in-service fire company inspections
- Addressing of citizen complaints regarding fire safety issues
- Approval of building plans relating to fire protection
- Supervision of the permit fee schedule and associated inspections
The goal of the Fire Prevention Division is to coordinate townwide fire prevention and fire inspection programs in order to reduce the number of fires and resultant casualties, and reduce property damage.
For your convenience, Fire Prevention accepts MasterCard® and Visa® credit cards for permits and inspections.
Smoke Detectors - New State GuidelinesThe State has issued new guidelines regarding the inspection of smoke detectors and carbon monoxide detectors for the sale of 1- and 2-family homes. One of the major concerns is the age of the detector. The homeowner is responsible for showing proof that the detectors meet the new code and are under 10 years old. If the homeowner cannot show proof and the detector appears to be over 10 years old – e.g., significant discoloration – fire personnel will fail the inspection. Fire Department personnel will not take down detectors to check the age.
It is highly recommended that the homeowner have detectors checked before the Fire Department comes to inspect the residence. It is recommended that the homeowner replace any detectors whose age is uncertain. The guidelines for meeting the law’s requirements can be found at http://www.mass.gov/eopss/docs/dfs/osfm/pubed/flyers/conumersguidesd-co2016-booklet.pdf.
ALL COMMERCIAL AND RESIDENTIAL PROPERTY PLAN REVIEWS ARE REQUIRED TO HAVE A NARRATIVE TO INCLUDE:
- REFERENCE OF ALL APPLICABLE CODES
- CURRENT STATUS OF STRUCTURE
- PROPOSED CHANGES (FIRE ALARM, FIRE PROTECTION SYSTEMS)
- SEQUENCE OF DEMOLITION/INSTALLATION
- FINAL DESIGN AND OPERATION OF FIRE PROTECTION/FIRE ALARM SYSTEMS