Click HERE to return to the Town of Brookline website Click HERE to return to the Department of Public Works website
parks_sorttitle
parklocation parkname_over parkfacility

Jean B. Waldstein (Dean) Playground

Category: Community Parks
Size: 5.63 acres
Protection: Article 97
Manager: Brookline DPW, Parks and Open Space Division
Location: Dean Road
Precinct: 14
Inventory Date: 11/02/04, revised 2/1/05
Vicinity: Enclosed by oak trees, train tracks, at the back of an apartment building parking lot, flanked by 2 churches
waldstein

Overview:
Large mature oaks line the edge of this park. There is open lawn on one side and an extensive array of recreational facilities on the other side. From Dean Road, the park appears as a large, open green field. From Clinton Path, the park appears to be a buzzing recreational area. The park has 8 new tennis courts. There is a play area, seating areas, and youth baseball field.

Park History:
This property was acquired in 1901. Originally, the Village Brook ran through it. The brook was covered and the lower side toward Beacon Street, was filled to make way for playing fields. In 1918, tennis courts were built. Tournaments for tennis and croquet were held here. When Clinton Path was laid out around 1903, a strip of land was bought from Boston and a flight of stairs from Dean Road was built. It was re-sodded in 1996 and the irrigation system was upgraded in 1997.

Deed/Title/Restrictions:
The Town acquired 247,760 square feet of the property from Susan Wadsworth et al under the condition that "no apartment buildings or stables to be erected there on." This parcel was previously called Beacon Street Playground and later called Dean Park. This information came from the 1960 deed research but could not be located during the 2003 deed research. The Town purchased another 2,935 square feet from the City of Boston in 1903 with no restrictions.

 


©2010 Town of Brookline Massachusetts Parks and Open Space Division
Home  |  About Us  |  Contact us