In 2013 the Town of Brookline upgraded our metered public parking supply to provide improved customer convenience, ensure a regular turnover of spaces in our high demand areas, and improve municipal maintenance and collection operations. These changes include:
• New PAY BY SPACE multi-space meters in our parking lots in Brookline Village, Coolidge Corner, JFK Crossing, and St. Mary’s Commercial Districts and in the Longwood, Brookline Hills, and Beaconsfield MBTA lots
• New on-street IPS smart meters that accept credit cards and coins in our commercial centers in Coolidge Corner, JFK Crossing, St. Mary’s, and Washington Square
• New on-street IPS smart meters that accept credit cards and coins at the 11 hour meters on Chapel Street and Kent Street
• Extended hours to 8pm in high demand areas signified by special signage and red top meters
• Special Red Sox game day parking in the St. Mary’s Commercial District starting 2 hours before game time and extending to 10pm
• Increased rates of $1.00 per hour for all 2, 3, and 5 hour meters
• Increased rates of $1.50 per hour on Brookline Avenue, Chapel Street, and Longwood MBTA lots
• Increased payment options including coin, bills, and credit cards
Frequently Asked Questions:
1. How do I know if the meter is in effect until 8pm?
• For multi-space meters both the signs and the stickers on the machines will indicate 8pm. The Mutli-space Meters along the Beacon Street Median in lower Beacon Street and in the Centre Street East (large) parking lot are until 8pm.
• All IPS smart meters and red top single space parking meters are in effect until 8pm.
2. How does the multi-space meter work?
a. Note the number of the space when you park your vehicle
b. Walk to ANY multi-space meter and enter your space number and press “OK”
c. Follow the on-screen instructions
d. Once payment is accepted it will ask if you want a receipt (NO RECEIPT IS NECESSARY with Pay by Space)
e. Walk away and carry on with your daily business. No need to return to your vehicle
3. Can I use credit cards to pay for parking?
Yes, all multi-space and IPS single space meters accept Visa, Master Card, and Discover.
4. Are the parking rates and hours of operation changing?
Yes, at high demand areas meters are in effect until 8pm. Special Red Sox meters are in effect until 10pm on Lower Beacon Street during home games only.
5. Do these meters offer refunds or change?
No! Regardless of the type of meter used no change or refund is offered.