Proper Storage & Waste Regulations
The Town of Brookline waste collection fee is based on the collection of domestic household waste accumulated during a one week period.
Apartment, attic, basement, etc. clean outs and/or construction, demolition or renovation waste will not be collected. Please make arrangements with a private permitted waste hauler to dispose of these materials. Please view the private waste hauler webpage or call for a list of permitted private waste haulers. To report any violations or illegal dumping visit BrookONline.
Storage & Collection of Solid Waste
- Trash must be stored in town issued carts with tight fitting covers. Carts and covers with holes must be replaced. All dumpsters must be closed. Be sure to have a sufficient number of containers for your trash.
- Occupants must do their part and place garbage and rubbish in the required carts and put covers back on carts and close the lids of dumpsters. Residents who do not keep lids on the bins are subject to fines.
- Property should be clean and sanitary, free of loose trash and debris.
- No bushes or trees should be overhanging the sidewalk and no trash or other items should be blocking the sidewalk.
- See our full list of Solid Waste Regulations for information about regulations governing the handling, storage, collection, and disposal of waste.
Collection of Solid Waste, Yard Waste & Recycling
- Please do not place carts behind parked cars or other obstructions. (Whenever possible)
- Trash and Recycling carts must be 2' from any obstructions.
- Please do not block pedestrian pathways.
- Please do not place hazardous waste in your carts.
- Waste / yard waste / recycling should not be placed out earlier than 3:30 p.m. the day before collection and no later than 7 a.m. the day of collection. Fines will be imposed for residents who do not adhere to collection rules.
- Trash should be no more than 70 pounds per barrel.
- All trash should be in suitable, sealed bags, no loose trash and no trash in boxes.
- Empty waste carts should be removed from the curbside before 12 a.m. on the day of collection.
- Please note: collections on or following a holiday will be done one day later for the remainder of that week. For example, Friday collections will be done on Saturday.
Metal Items, Appliances, CRTs & TVs
- Metal items, appliances, CRT monitors and TVs must be scheduled online one week in advance for collection.
- Doors must be removed from refrigerators.
- Gas and oil must be drained from lawn mowers, snow blowers, and any other gas operated unit before pick up.
- Propane tanks must be removed from gas grills.
Litter Baskets, Bigbelly Units, & Public Area Recycling Containers
Litter baskets, Bigbelly receptacles, and other public area recycling containers are located in many areas of Brookline helping our residents and visitors to keep our town clean. Dumping household waste and commercial trash is illegal. Dog waste must be placed in the trash. The containers only allow for public litter/recycling.
Winter Snow Shoveling and Trash
To keep your trash and recycling service running smoothly during the snow season, follow these simple rules:
- Shovel a path for your trash and recycling cart.
- Keep these containers off patches of ice for safety.
- Make sure trash and recycling carts are clear of snow.
- Put your trash and recycling carts as close to the street as possible – not behind snow banks. Trash and recycling carts will not be picked up behind snow banks!
- Leave a 4’ space on either side of your trash and recycling carts, allowing easy access by trucks with automated arms.