The Town of Brookline waste collection fee is based on the collection of domestic household waste accumulated during a one week period.
Apartment, attic, basement, etc. clean outs and/or construction, demolition or renovation waste will not be collected. Please make arrangements with a private permitted waste hauler to dispose of these materials. Please view the private waste hauler webpage or call for a list of permitted private waste haulers. Also, avoid violations by understanding our illegal dumping policy.
Storage & Collection of Solid Waste
- Trash must be stored in barrels with tight fitting covers. Containers and covers with holes must be replaced. All dumpsters must be closed. Be sure to have a sufficient number of containers for your trash.
- Occupants must do their part and place garbage and rubbish in the required receptacles and put covers back on barrels and close the lids of dumpsters. Residents who do not keep lids on the bins are subject to fines.
- Property should be clean and sanitary, free of loose trash and debris.
- No bushes or trees should be overhanging the sidewalk and no trash or other items should be blocking the sidewalk.
Collection of Solid Waste, Yard Waste & Recycling
- Waste / yard waste / recycling should not be placed out earlier than 3:30 p.m. the day before collection and no later than 7 a.m. the day of collection. Fines will be imposed for residents who do not adhere to collection rules.
- Trash should be no more than 70 pounds per barrel. Barrels may not exceed 35 gallons in size.
- All trash should be in suitable, sealed bags, no loose trash and no trash in boxes.
- Empty waste receptacles should be removed from the curbside before 12 a.m. on the day of collection.
- Please note: collections on or following a holiday will be done one day later for the remainder of that week. For example, Friday collections will be done on Saturday.
Metal Items, Appliances, CRTs & TVs
- Metal items, appliances, CRT monitors and TVs must be scheduled one week in advance for collection. Call 617-730-2156 to schedule a pick up.
- Doors must be removed from refrigerators.
- Gas and oil must be drained from lawn mowers, snow blowers, and any other gas operated unit before pick up.
- Propane tanks must be removed from gas grills.
Litter Baskets, Bigbelly Units, & Public Area Recycling Containers
Litter baskets, bigbelly receptacles, and other public area recycling containers are located in many areas of Brookline helping our residents and visitors to keep our town clean. Dumping household waste and commercial trash is illegal. Dog waste must be placed in the trash. The containers only allow for public litter/recycling.