Engineering & Transportation Division
The Transportation Division works with the Transportation Board to develop and implement all transportation policies, plans and regulations in the town.
Working with the Department of Public Works (DPW) - Engineering Division, DPW - Highway Division, and Brookline's Planning Department, Police Department and Transportation Board, the DPW - Transportation staff provides technical support and administrative services in the following areas:
- Developing Healthy & Sustainable Transportation Planning Initiatives including Pedestrian, Bicycle, Micro-Mobility, Public Transportation, Emergency Vehicle Access, and Motor Vehicles
- Managing expansion of the Bike Share, Car Share, and Publicly Accessible EV Charging
- Designing neighborhood safety and access improvement plans
- Administering residential, commercial, and temporary permit parking programs
- Managing the Parking Meter System
- Conducting traffic and parking studies in support of our commercial districts
- Reviewing transportation access and construction management plans for new developments
- Developing intersection and traffic signal improvement projects
- Licensing and overseeing taxi cab, valet, jitney, and livery industries
- Providing technical support to the Select Board, Transportation Board, Zoning Board of Appeals, Bicycle Advisory Committee, Pedestrian Advisory Committee, Shared Mobility Advisory Committee, and the Safe Routes to School Townwide Task Force
The Engineering Division provides estimates, plans and descriptions for street layouts and street line locations. The division also provides general Engineering Services to numerous Town Departments, Boards and Commissions, including the Parks and Recreation Department, Community Planning Commission, Conservation Commission, Building Inspector, Zoning Board and School Department. Engineering assistance is also provided through a Construction Inspector/Engineering that is charged directly to projects.
In general, the Engineering Division's specific functions of this division include:
- Preparation of plans, specifications and bidding documents for various construction projects involving the Town infrastructure;
- Ensuring compliance with federal, state and local regulations relative to bidding contracts and the procurement of services;
- Overseeing and administering contracts and construction inspections relative to those contracts;
- Responding to citizen inquiries and complaints relative to Public Works projects and infrastructure;
- Providing technical support and engineering services to the other divisions of the Department as well as to other Town Departments, Boards and Commissions;
- Reviewing street opening requests by contractors and utilities and supervising the restoration of the Town’s infrastructure; and
- Reviewing plans for new subdivisions and ensuring the plans are in compliance with the Standards of the Town of Brookline.