Harry Downes Playground and Field
Harry Downes field is located between Jamaica Road, Highland Road and Pond Ave. The park contains a synthetic field, track, playground and a natural turf playing field as well as a number of large mature trees. The park was last renovated in 2006 and is in need of upgrades. Renovations will improve player and user safety, accessibility and multi-generational accommodations. New play equipment, benches, walkways, planting, and other site amenities will be included with this renovation.
Construction is in full swing now at Harry Downes Field. The contractors are installing the turf field and will start adding the new infill over the next week. Playground installation has started and will be followed by the obstacle course over the next few weeks. On the natural field side the irrigation work is almost completed, the crews are excavating for the new walkways and sub-grading work has been completed for the field. Over the next few weeks work will start on the new water play area in the playground and track repairs will begin in early August. We are excited for the renovation of this park and all the work completed to date.
Construction is underway at Harry Downes, we are excited to start work on the renovation. As you may have seen there is construction fencing and silt fencing up around the playground, all the play equipment has been removed and sub grading work has been completed in the playground area. The crew have also brought in a water service connection to create the new water play area. The contractor will continue the playground work over the next few weeks. They will then start work on the fields the first week in June as well as continue working on the playground.
The public design review process began in June 2017 and was completed in the spring of 2018. The goals were to maintain the park’s character, provide universal access within the park, improve the connection between the two sides of the park, update playground equipment (including water play), replace the irrigation system and improve user safety on the playing fields. The project construction documents were completed at the end of 2018 for bidding in early 2019. Construction is due to start in early spring.
- May 8, 2018 Park and Recreation Commission Meeting
- April 25, 2018 Design Review Committee Minutes
- April 25, 2018 Design Review Committee Meeting Presentation (PDF)
- April 25, 2018 Design Review Committee Agenda (PDF)
- February 28, 2018 Design Review Committee Meeting Minutes (PDF)
- February 28, 2018 Design Review Committee Meeting Presentation (PDF)
- February 28, 2018 Design Review Committee Meeting Agenda (PDF)
- September 27, 2017 Design Review Committee Meeting Minutes (PDF)
- September 27, 2017 Meeting Presentation (PDF)
- September 27, 2017 Meeting Agenda (PDF)
- June 20, 2017 Meeting Presentation (PDF)
- June 20, 2017 Meeting Agenda (PDF)