Recreational Marijuana Information
Beginning April 1, 2018, the Cannabis Control Commission (CCC) has accepted applications to allow for Adult-use Marijuana Establishments to open in cities and towns across the Commonwealth where recreational marijuana uses were voted favorably. In November 2016, Brookline Town Meeting voted (59.98% in favor) to legalize recreational marijuana uses.
Caps on Special Permits and Licenses
The Town has a maximum cap of four Special Permits and four Licenses for retail marijuana establishments. As of August 2019, two establishments, NETA and Sanctuary Medicinals, have received Special Permits and Licenses. NETA is currently in operation. Two additional applications are in the Site Plan Review Process, which is required before an application to the Board of Appeals may be submitted.
For the latest version of the State laws (Enabling Legislation, Statutes, and Regulations), please the Cannabis Control Commission's webpage, The Laws. Note the the CCC updated 935 CMR 500.000 (Adult Use of Marijuana) in November 2019.
Pertinent Sections of the General By-Law
- 8.30.2 – [LICENSE] Applicant’s Submission To Fingerprinting By The Brookline Police Department
- 8.34 - REGISTERED MARIJUANA DISPENSARY (RMD) LICENSES
- 8.37 - MARIJUANA ESTABLISHMENTS*
- 8.38 - MARIJUANA AND HEMP AND MARIJUANA AND HEMP PRODUCTS
- (*) Warrant Article 21 - Amendment to Sec. 8.37 passed at Town Meeting Spring 2019
Pertinent Sections of the Zoning By-Law
[Online bylaw includes amendment passed at Town Meeting Fall 2018 changing the minimum between Marijuana establishments to 200 feet irrespective of whether it’s on the first or second floor.]
- Sec. 2.13 – Definitions (all)
- Table 4.07 – Tables of Uses
- Sec. 4.12 REGISTERED MARIJUANA DISPENSARY (RMD)
- Sec. 4.13 MARIJUANA ESTABLISHMENTS
Applying To Operate
To apply to operate as a Marijuana Establishment in Brookline, please visit the Apply to Operate as a Marijuana Establishment page.
Status of Marijuana Establishment Proposals
Click HERE for a list of proposals, status of proposal applications, and links to ZBA Decisions for Special Permits granted, and conditions for licenses granted by Select Board.
Contact the Regulatory Division at 617-730-2130 for further information.