About the Department
The Department of Planning and Community Development is responsible for planning activities and projects that are focused on preserving and enhancing the quality of life of Brookline residents by protecting and improving neighborhoods; insuring quality development consistent with the Town’s by-laws; defining and promoting appropriate economic development; and safeguarding and advancing the amenities that make Brookline a desirable place in which to live, work and invest.
The Department provides professional and administrative staff support to a host of boards, commissions and committees and works closely with other municipal departments. Consistent with Town policy, the Planning Department is committed to engaging the public, informing and educating the private sector about planning projects, and performing its responsibilities in a transparent manner.
The Planning Department consists of three divisions: Community Planning, Economic Development and Long-Term Planning and Regulatory Planning, each led by a division head under the supervision of the Director. On the left, you will find links to sub-pages for our three divisions containing detailed information on the functions and projects of each.
ALISON STEINFELD: Director
> COMMUNITY PLANNING: > Responsible for administration of CDBG and HOME funding, affordable housing opportunities, inclusionary zoning, housing policy and planning, housing affordability monitoring, bikeshare program
- JOE VIOLA: Assistant Director for Community Planning
- VIRGINIA BULLOCK: Senior Housing Planner
- DAVID GUZMAN: Housing Planner
- EWANA LINDO-SMITH: Community Development Administrator
- EDWARD BATES: Community Planner
- KARA BREWTON: Economic Development Director
- MEREDITH MOONEY: Economic Development + Long Term Planner
> REGULATORY PLANNING: > Responsible for special permit/variance relief, design review for Local Historic Districts and demolition cases, Major Impact Projects, 40B affordable housing projects, climate action & sustainability initiatives, Zoning By-Law amendments
- POLLY SELKOE: Assistant Director for Regulatory Planning
- VICTOR PANAK: Planner
- MONIQUE BALDWIN: Zoning Coordinator/Planner
- MARIA MORELLI, AICP: Senior Planner
- VALERIE BIRMINGHAM: Preservation Planner
- TINA MCCARTHY: Preservation Planner
DERICK YUNG: Senior Office Assistant
LINDA HICKEY: Administrative Head Clerk
For contact information for Planning Department staff, see our Staff Directory.