- Boards & Commissions
- (Arc.) Archived Boards & Commissions
- (Arc.) Newbury College Acquisition Advisory Comm.
Newbury College Acquisition Advisory Committee
- Neil Wishinsky (Select Board Chair)
- Nancy Heller, Alternate, (Select Board Member)
- Steve Heikin (Planning Board)
- Ranch Kimball (Non-Profit and Higher Education expertise)
- Janet Fierman (Building Commission)
- Paul Saner (Economic Development Advisory Board)
- Kathy Spiegelman (Planning and Real Estate- Higher Education)
- Helen Charlupski (School Committee)
- Georgia Johnson (Fisher Hill Neighborhood)
- Bobbie Knable (Advisory Committee)
Newbury College Acquisition Advisory Committee Charge
The Select Board shall establish a Newbury College Acquisition Advisory Committee. As advisory to the Select Board, the Committee’s purpose is to examine, analyze and report on the legal, procedural, and financial issues, as well as provide strategic advice and a preliminary use analysis, for the possible acquisition of some or all of the Newbury College property on Fisher Hill. This committee will support the acquisition phase for the property and as such, the tasks listed in the charge should be prioritized to ensure that appropriate due diligence is conducted to make a timely bid for the property. The Committee will not be advising the Select Board on the ultimate use of the property. That would be determined through a future planning process should the Town successfully acquire the property. Additionally, should the Town not successfully purchase the property a future planning process will consider land use regulation strategies.
The Committee’s work will form the basis for a report and/or recommendation to the Select Board. The Committee will have access to staff and professional services which will be funded by a request for a Reserve Fund Transfer of $150,000. The Committee will help determine which professional services will be required.
The Committee shall hold at least one public hearing prior to delivering its report/recommendation to the Select Board.
The Committee’s report/recommendation may include:
- Legal Analysis
- Assessment of known restrictions and impacts on possible future uses. Including,
- National/State Historic Register
- Wetlands jurisdiction
- Restrictions in Newbury College’s land
- Easements - Water/Sewer, Path of Travel, Utility
- General acquisition questions and assessment of the mechanisms that could be used to acquire the property
- Can we acquire the property without a specific use identified – for “general municipal use”?
- Can/should the Town partner with another organization to purchase? Advantages/disadvantages?
- Restrictions or other considerations of potentially selling off unused sections of land after acquisition
- Acquisition structure options
- Fee Simple
- Eminent Domain
- Are tools such as a ground lease available after acquisition
- Assessment of site condition
- Are buildings adaptable, i.e. can they be reused? Size appropriate? Condition?
- Research of past use and;
- Environmental conditions
- Preliminary Identification of Possible Uses
- Can the site be used for a critical mass of the municipal uses identified in the Strategic Asset Plan? Including,
- Additional elementary and high school facilities to support Brookline Public Schools
- Test fit and high level price estimate for 2 and 3 section elementary schools
- Facilities for BEEP, substantially separate special education programs
- Town/School office space
- Relocation of existing rentals
- Open Space/Recreation use
- Affordable Housing
- Senior Housing
- Municipal facility, including satellite Senior Center
- Acquisition Strategy
- Consider how to best engage with the Newbury acquisition process
- Bid strategy
- Preparation of a bid recommendation
- Consideration of other potential bidders and how to best compete
- Consideration of reasons not to purchase property
- Consideration of partnership opportunities
- Cost and Financing Options
- Oversee a value assessment of the property
- Assistance in preparation of an offer or bid package
- Examine finance options
- Capital Improvements Program financed
- Effect on other CIP priorities
- Debt Exclusion Override
- Redirection of existing rental payments
Agendas & Minutes
Agendas are available prior to the meetings. Minutes are available following approval.
Most Recent Agenda | View All Agendas and Minutes