GARE Work Group Agenda- 8/22/2019
Human Resources Department
II. How do you envision an ideal Human Resources Department?
III. What is the purpose of a Human Resources Department?
IV. What are the core processes, policies and structures we need to ensure that we are genuine to that purpose.
V. GARE Blog
VI. Next StepsThe 1st GARE HR Meeting commenced on 8/22. Those present included representatives from the Human Resources Department, the Diversity Office , members from GARE Community Group and Health Department staff. Meeting members shared what they envisioned to be the ideal Human Resources Department. There was also discussion regarding the purpose of the HR Department. Please see below for the ideas generated in the meeting. The next meeting will examine each of the ideas generated and to develop operational definitions that can be used develop assessment metrics. These metrics will be used to help determine the strengths and areas of needed growth within the HR Department. Next meeting to be determined.
We are looking for additional members to join the work group; we welcome everyone and we do hope that individuals of color would consider participating in the GARE process. Please note that GARE, Government Alliance for Racial Equity, mission is to examine structures, service/programs, policies and procedures, to determine and to correct structural racism. To accomplish this mission it is important that people of color participate in the process. If you are interested please contact BrooklineGARE at BrooklineGARE@gmail.com
GARE Workgroup – Human Resources Department 8/22/19 1:00-2:00 PM Community Members Present: Anne Greenwald, Debbie Katz, Town Employees Present: Caitlin Starr, Lloyd Gellineau, Ann Braga, Darlene Johnson, Dai Nguyen
1) How do you envision an ideal Human Resources Department?
• Supportive of current employees; adequate and accessible information distribution
• Acknowledge strength and weaknesses
• Accessible • Completes performance reviews of Department Heads and manager positions
• Innovative and inclusive hiring practices
• Increase applicant pool • Focus on promotion and retention
• Continued education and professional building opportunities
• Clear and equitable policies and procedures to reflect generational and systemic changes
• Increase in community work
• Consistent education on Diversity and Inclusion
2) What is the purpose of a Human Resources Department?
• Hiring and onboarding new employees • Benefit procurement and distribution
• Work with payroll • Recruit/outreach for open positions • Develop and manage employee policies
• Support employee opportunity and growth • Hold Department’s accountable
• Provide mechanisms to address violations • Provide team building opportunities