Marijuana in the Town of Brookline
Two marijuana dispensaries currently operate in the Town of Brookline, with more in the planning and development stages. (Current locations, as of January 2021, are in Brookline Village and Coolidge Corner.) Both dispensaries offer adult-use/recreational marijuana sales for adults over the age of 21. One dispensary also offers medical marijuana sales.
The Brookline Department of Public Health (BDPH) is responsible for reviewing health and safety plans, and conducts regular facility inspections of marijuana dispensaries. BDPH also partners with other Town of Brookline Departments in order to provide coordinated oversight, regulation, and guidance.
Education & Research
The Brookline Department of Public Health provides substance abuse education and prevention programming in schools and throughout the community. Education and awareness efforts focus on tailored messaging for children, young adults, adults, and seniors. In addition, the Town of Brookline is currently developing a research portfolio to better understand the impact of marijuana on the town.
Recreational/Adult-Use Marijuana Laws in Massachusetts
- For anyone under the age of 21, it is illegal to buy, possess, or consume marijuana for recreational purposes. (Special conditions apply for medical marijuana patients under the age of 21.)
- It is illegal to consume marijuana in public or on federal land.
- It is illegal to operate a vehicle under the influence of marijuana.
- There are restrictions on the amount of marijuana any one person is allowed to possess.
- For more information about marijuana laws and regulations in Massachusetts, Click Here.
- Eating or drinking marijuana can make kids very sick.
- If your child ingests marijuana, call the poison control hotline at (800) 222-1222.
- Call 911 if the reaction seems serious.
- If an animal ingests marijuana, call your veterinarian.
- Keep marijuana in clearly labeled, child-resistant packaging.
- If you have marijuana in your home, consider storing it in a locked container, away from children and pets.
Reminders for Responsible Use
- Please keep in mind, that even though marijuana use is legal in Massachusetts, it is not legal for all people in all situations.
- Do not drive under the influence of marijuana.
- Do not consume marijuana in public places.
- Do not provide marijuana to underage people.
- Never serve anyone marijuana products in food or beverage without their consent.
- Store marijuana safely.
- Please keep the Town of Brookline clean of marijuana paraphernalia and other litter.
- Mass.gov - Learn About Marijuana
- Cannabis Control Commission
- CDC - Marijuana and Public Health
- NCCIH - Cannabis and Cannabinoids
- SAMHSA - Marijuana Risks
- Brookline Parent Education Network (B-PEN)
For more information, please contact Lesley Craft, PhD, MPH, CHES at firstname.lastname@example.org.