Outdoor Dining Program
Page last updated on 11/10/2022
Outdoor Seating Licenses Available for Common Victualler License Holders
Brookline restaurants with Common Victualler licenses are eligible to apply for a seasonal or annual outdoor seating license.
Apply for an Outdoor Seating License
- First, register an account on our online permit portal, Accela. Follow this guide:
you may skip this step if you already have an account.
Guide to Registering
- Then, open our guide to apply for a license on Accela.
Guide to Applying
- Click the following link to open Accela and follow the steps in the Guide to Applying.
Apply for License
Outdoor Dining Program Regulations and Guidelines
Common Victuallers interested in offering outdoor seating located on public property (i.e. sidewalk or on-street outdoor seating), should carefully review the Outdoor Dining Program Regulations & Guidelines (including the license fee structure), updated in October 2022, as well as the additional materials for review listed below. Documents for submission (listed below) should be completed and submitted as separate attachments via the online application portal.
Outdoor Dining License Types & Fees
Seasonal outdoor seating is permitted from April 1 – November 15 (7.5 months). It is possible to obtain a combination of seasonal and annual outdoor seating licenses (for example, an annual sidewalk license and a seasonal on-street license), but fees must be paid for both license types.
|Type of License||Fee Effective April 1, 2022||Fee Effective January 1, 2023||Fee Effective January 1, 2024||Fee Effective January 1, 2025|
* Fee increases must be reviewed and approved by the Select Board prior to implementation.
Outdoor Seating Application Materials
Application Documents Required for All Applicants:
- Outdoor Seating License Application Form
- Health & Sanitation Plan
- Outdoor Seating Area Diagram (Instructions for Outdoor Seating Area Diagram)
- Certificate of Liability Insurance
- License Agreement Form
- Building Department Guidance for Semi-Permanent Outdoor Dining Structures
- Town of Brookline’s Snow Removal By-Law
Other Application Documents (only required if applicable):
- Liquid Propane Outdoor Patio Heater Permit (Send to Select Board's office)
- Liquid Propane (LP) Outdoor Patio Heating Appliance Use and Storage Policy (Updated Sept. 2022)
- Certificate of Liquor Liability Insurance
- Proof of Consent from Abutters (applicants may submit letters from abutters)
- Building Department review of plans for On-Street Outdoor Seating Structures with Roofs