Irrigation System Specifications
All home owners/plumbers interested in the installation of an Irrigation Meter should follow this procedure:
- The home owner needs to hire a licensed plumber
- The plumber must obtain a plumbing permit from the Building Department: Town Hall, 333 Washington St, 3rd Floor, Brookline MA 02445
- The home owner/plumber will be responsible to purchase the meter and MTU (meter transmitting unit) through the water and sewer division.
Water meter specifications are as follows: No-Lead Brass Water Meter equipped with an Absolute Encoder (Invision) Register in hundred cubic feet and an Aclara Radio Frequency Dual Port Transmitter Unit (MTU)
- A check can be made out to the: Town of Brookline and dropped off to the Water and Sewer Division at: Town Hall, 333 Washington St, 4th Floor, Brookline MA 02445
- An appointment must be set up for the Water and Sewer Division staff to come out and install the meter and transmitter
** MUST BE PLUMBED WITH THE TAIL PIECES BEFORE COMING OUT”
- Once inspected and approved the meter will become the property of the Town of Brookline and as such, all rules and regulations pertaining to the water meters will be applicable. At this time a separate account will be assigned and activated.
|METER SIZE||TAILPIECE LENGTH||COST|
|1"||10 3/4 INCHES||$250.00|
|METER TRANSMITTING UNIT (MTU)||$250|
Regulation for the Installation of Irrigation Meters
Installation of irrigation meters will be allowed ONLY on lawn irrigation systems that are piped underground from the service pipe entrance within the building. Water used in this manner will be exempt from the sewer use charge and will be billed separately each quarter. Connections to sillcocks or any other interior or exterior faucets used in conjunction with garden hoses will NOT be allowed. All plumbing must be completed by a licensed plumber according to the schematic diagram below and subject to all conditions of the Brookline Building Code, including permits and inspections.
Water meter specifications are as follows: No-Lead Brass Water Meter equipped with an Absolute Encoder (Invision) Register in hundred cubic feet and an Aclara Radio Frequency Dual Port Transmitter Unit (MTU) can be purchased from Brookline Water & Sewer Division. The homeowner/plumber shall be responsible for purchasing the meter and transmitting unit from the Town of Brookline (Check only). Once it is plumbed with the tailpieces call the Water & Sewer Division at 617 730-2170 to set up an appointment to have our division install the meter and MTU. Once installation has been inspected and approved the transmitting unit will be activated. The installed meter will become the property of the Town of Brookline and as such, all rules and regulations pertaining to water meters will be applicable. Approval will not be granted unless a backflow preventer has been installed according to the following:
- Atmospheric Vacuum Breakers - Watts 288A, Febco 710 or approved equal
For applications where the backflow device is not under continuous pressure, the bottom of the device must be located a minimum of 6 inches above the highest sprinkler head or outlet.
- Pressure Vacuum Breakers - Watts 800, Febco 765 or approved equal
For applications where the backflow device is under continuous pressure, the bottom of the device must be located a minimum of 12 inches above the highest sprinkler head or outlet..
- Reduced Pressure Zone Backflow Preventer - Watts 909, Febco 825Y or approved equal
For applications where backpressure from pumps or chemical feeders may exist or where the minimum height allowances noted above for vacuum breakers are not obtainable.