Boylston Street Playground property was acquired by the Town in 1851. This playground was originally the site of the new South Primary School. The school was used by multiple occupants until 1971 when the building was torn down and the area converted into playground space. The playground was further developed in 1978 and the last major renovation completed in 2002. The park contains a small playing field for youth soccer and youth baseball. The park has a backstop but no infield. It also has a basketball court with 4 hoops and a small playground with swings and a structure for 2-5 year old's. Boylston Street Playground is currently part of the Green Dog Program as well. The park was linked to the neighborhoods by a pedestrian bridge over the MBTA tracks known as the Davis Path Footbridge. The bridge was removed a few years ago and is now currently in the concept design phases.
Boylston Design Review Committee meetings are currently on-hold while the Davis Path Footbridge team works through design and funding of the bridge project. Stay tuned for updates when the committee will reconvene.
Improvements to Boylston Playground will include:
Universal access within the park;
Treatment of the park’s perimeter and entries to address issues of accessibility;
Redesign of the playground spaces and water play, including play equipment for all ages and resilient safety surfacing;
Site furniture and destinations for seating and picnicking throughout the park;
Discussion of hardcourt play space;
Renovation of open lawn; and,
Grading work and drainage enhancements to direct runoff appropriately
For additional project information please reach out to the Parks and Open Space Division Landscape Architect Jessie Waisnor at [email protected] or 617-730-2616.