Births, Deaths and Marriages

About Vital Records

The Town Clerk is the town’s Registrar of Vital Records and Statistics. He accepts the filing and maintains the records of all births, deaths and marriages that occur in Brookline. The Town Clerk is authorized to issue certified copies of

  • Birth certificates
  • Death certificates
  • Marriage certificates

The Town Clerk also administers adoption and record-change depositions.

Requesting Vital Records

Certified copies of birth, death, and marriage records may be obtained from the Office of the Town Clerk in person during regular business hours, by mail or on-line. All certificates are mailed on the next business day.

Please Note: Due to the COVID-19 pandemic, all vital records should be requested by mail, or online.

The fee for a certified copy of a vital record is $15
The fee for amending vital records, through a record change deposition, is $50.

Marriage Licenses (Appointment ONLY)

View Marriage License FAQ

Obtaining a Marriage License

Except for a few exceptional circumstances, the couple must appear in person at the Office of the Town Clerk in order to obtain a marriage license. The couple must complete and sign under oath an Intention of Marriage. Some of the information necessary to completing this form is your social security number, your place of birth, and your mother’s maiden name. The fee for filing the Intention of Marriage is $50. 

Marriage License Process in Massachusetts

Massachusetts requires a mandatory 3 day waiting period from the time the Intention of Marriage is filed before a Marriage License can be issued. A waiver from this period may be obtained from a local District Court for a fee of $195. A marriage license must be used within 60 days from the date of filing the Intention of Marriage and may be used for a ceremony conducted in any Massachusetts city or town. The member of the clergy, the Justice of the Peace or any other recognized officiant, who performs the ceremony, must sign the license and return it to the city or town where it was issued.

Requesting the Town Clerk for a Civil Ceremony

The Brookline Town Clerk is also a Justice of the Peace and has the legal authority to perform marriage ceremonies. Those desiring a civil ceremony performed by the Town Clerk should contact the Town Clerk’s office in advance of the date of the ceremony. The fee for officiating a civil marriage ceremony is $100. To obtain a list of other local Justices of the Peace contact the Office of the Town Clerk or call the Secretary of State’s commissions section at 617-727-2836.