Business & Commercial Areas Information
Opening & Running a Business
Depending on the type of business you are thinking of opening, it may be difficult to know where to start for required permits and licenses and assistance. Call Francisco Torres at 617-264-6478 for more information.
- Business Certificates (DBA License)
- Guide to Opening a Food Establishment (PDF)
- Food Vendors License (PDF) (selling food, no seats)
- Common Victualler License (PDF) (restaurants with seats)
- All Board of Selectmen Licensing (initial permitting)
- Online Board of Selectmen License Renewals
- Tax Assessors Contacts & Database
- Personal Property Tax Questions & Answers
- Current bid and contract opportunities
- Facade Loan Program (PDF)
- Commercial Permit Parking
- Building & Zoning Services
- Building Applications & Forms
- Environmental / Health Licensing & Permitting
- All Businesses: Required Commercial Recycling Plan
- Annual Registration Renewal for Storage of Flammables
- For Nonprofits: Raffles & Bazaar
- Keep Updated with Evolving Local Business Regulations
- Small Business Administration - Boston Area Resources & Events
Facade Loan Program
The Town of Brookline Facade Loan Program (PDF) was established to encourage business owners and property owners to undertake improvements to their commercial storefronts. The program’s objective is to create lasting community benefits that go beyond the individual storefronts that enhances the overall streetscape and strengthens the identity of our commercial areas.
Eligible improvements are limited to those that will be made to the exterior front or sides (facades) of buildings that impact the visual aesthetics of the property, up to $10,000, with below market interest rates. Exterior painting, signage, awnings, lighting, windows / door replacement or modification, and building /storefront/ facade restoration are eligible as well as minor landscaping.
Commercial Areas & Community Information
- Community Dashboard
- Brookline Village
- Chestnut Hill / Putterham
- Coolidge Corner
- JFK Crossing
- St. Mary/ Lower Beacon Street
- Washington Square
The information below is a listing of the business associations in the Town of Brookline. We encourage you to follow the links to the corresponding websites for more information! You may also be interested to read about all Community Organizations.
Brookline Chamber of Commerce
The mission of the Brookline Chamber of Commerce is to promote and advance the continued success of Brookline as a thriving community in which to live, work, and do business. The chamber takes a leadership role in the business community for growth, advocacy, information, and networking. For more information, please visit the Brookline Chamber website, call 617-739-1330, or email Brookline Chamber.
Coolidge Corner Merchants Association
The Coolidge Corner Merchants Association's mission is to enhance the quality of life and business atmosphere of the neighborhood and to market Coolidge Corner as a vibrant, unique, and exciting place to shop. Issues of interest to all area business owners are discussed. Agenda items may range from planning sidewalk sales to discussing town policies that affect commercial areas. Visit the Coolidge Corner Merchants Association website for more information.
Washington Square Association
The Washington Square Association (WSA) has sponsored neighborhood improvements including the installation of an 18-foot, 4-sided Victorian Clock (at the MBTA station), benches, flowering planters on sidewalks, and additional garden areas in the center of the square. The WSA welcomes business and resident members. Please email Hsiu Lan Chang or visit the WSA's Facebook page for more information.
Wellness in the Village
Wellness in the Village is a local collaborative with the goal of connecting the wealth of health and wellness practitioners in Brookline Village to our community. Checkout the Wellness in the Village website for more information.