Circle Cinema Site in Cleveland Circle
Last updated 5/11/16
The Circle Cinema site is located partly in Brookline and mostly in Boston and, therefore, subject to re-development regulation by both municipalities. The front 18,000 square feet of the previous Circle Cinema site is in Brookline. The remainder of the Cinema site (over 3/4 of its total area running along the Riverside T tracks) and all of the former Applebee's site is in Boston. 68 hotel rooms (38,789 square feet of hotel) and 2,635 square feet of retail space will be located in Brookline.
The Circle Cinema site is located partly in Brookline and mostly in Boston and, therefore, subject to re-development regulation by both municipalities. The front 18,000 square feet of the previous Circle Cinema site is in Brookline. The remainder of the Cinema site (over 3/4 of its total area running along the Riverside T tracks) and all of the former Applebee's site is in Boston. 68 hotel rooms (38,789 square feet) and 2,635 square feet of retail space will be in Brookline.
With the demolition of the Circle Cinema and Applebee's building complete, National Development is now focusing on preparing the site to get ready for the garage and building foundation work. This phase will continue through the summer and early fall. On May 10th, the Board of Selectmen agreed to a Memorandum of Agreement and issued a Revocable License: this allows public access along the sidewalk adjacent to the hotel, which will be built partially on private property. This License also allows the developer to install and maintain plantings at the intersection of Clinton Road and Chestnut Hill Avenue as well as within the public right-of-way in front of the hotel.
The best way to keep up to date with The Circle is through National Development's webpage for this project, which includes contacts for day-to-day construction activities.
Current Files and Presentations
- February 2016 Design Review package for modifications to site plan & hotel elevations:
- Special Permit Decision (PDF)
- May/June 2015 Special Permit application package:
- Part 1 (PDF) - Cover letter & application form
- Part 2 (PDF) - View Looking South from Chestnut Hill Avenue
- Part 3 (PDF) - Project Overview; Community & Environmental Impact & Design Standards
- Part 4 (PDF) - Site & Dimensional Data; Photometrics Plan; Plan of Hotel 1st floor
- Part 5 (PDF) - Signage; Parking & Transportation
- Part 6 (PDF) - Transportation (continued); Project Design
- Part 7 (PDF) - Project Design (continued); Landscaping
- Part 8 (PDF) - Updated Clinton Rd backyard study
- Part 9 (PDF) - Updated Clinton Rd backyard study (continued)
- Detailed Planting Plan (PDF)
- Larger-Scale Photometrics Plan (PDF)
- Detail Grading Plan for Chestnut Hill Ave edge (PDF)
- Hotel Dimensions - Rooftop Plan (PDF) - showing rooftop equipment
- Video of Sketchup Model
- February 2015 Planning Board - Design Advisory Team Presentation (PDF)
- Payment in Lieu of Taxes (PILOT) and Developer's Agreement (PDF)
Files Prior to 2015
- 2014 Special Permit Application (PDF)
- Full-size Plans submitted with 2014 Special Permit Application (PDF)
- July 2014 Design Advisory Team Presentation (PDF)
- June 2014 Submission to Planning Director (PDF)
- Clinton Rd backyard study (PDF)
- Traffic Study included in Boston DPIR submittal
- PowerPoint from August 2, 2012, neighborhood meeting - part 1 (PDF)
- PowerPoint from August 2, 2012, neighborhood meeting - part 2 (PDF)
Boston Permitting to Date
Boston Development Group (BDG) began permitting with the City of Boston spring and summer of 2011 and in 2014, the Boston Redevelopment Authority (BRA) approved the Boston portion of the project subject to Article 80 Large Project review. The Boston Zoning was also changed to allow for Planned Development Areas (PDAs). BDG has applied for a PDA with the Boston Zoning Commission. The most up to date information regarding Boston's permitting process is available through the Boston Redevelopment Authority.