The Select Board has voted 4-1 to file an appeal in the state superior court decision reinstating Firefighter Gerald Alston. Each Select Board member has prepared a statement addressing the reasons for their vote.
The Select Board is composed of 5 members who are elected for 3-year terms. Current members include:
- Bernard Greene (Chair)
- Ben Franco
- Nancy Heller
- Heather Hamilton
- Raul Fernandez
As the Chief Elected and Executive Officers of the town, the Select Board are vested with all the municipal authority not specifically retained by the town's legislative body, Town Meeting. The Select Board appoint a Town Administrator, responsible for the daily management of the town, whose powers are specified in Chapter 270 of the Acts of 1985, as amended.
The Select Board:
- Issue the warrants for Town Meetings and make recommendations on the warrant articles
- Initiate legislative policy by inserting articles in Town Meeting warrants
- Implement the votes subsequently adopted
- Adopt town administrative policies
- Review and set fiscal guidelines for the annual operating budget and the 6-Year Capital Improvements Program
- Make recommendations to Town Meeting on the budget and Capital Improvements Program
- Appoint department heads and members of most official boards and commissions
- Hold public hearings on important town issues and periodic conferences with agencies under their jurisdiction and with community groups
- Represent the town before the General Court and in all regional and metropolitan affairs
- Enforce town by-laws and regulations
- Serve as the licensing board responsible for issuing and renewing over 600 licenses in more than 20 categories, including common victualler, food vendor, liquor, lodging house, open-air parking lot, inflammables, special events, and entertainment
The Select Board meets every Tuesday evening, unless otherwise posted (summer meeting schedule may vary). Location: Select Board Hearing Room, 6th Fl., Brookline Town Hall, 333 Washington Street).
Select Board meetings are broadcast live by Brookline Interactive Group.
The Select Board Hearing Room is fully accessible and assistive listening devices are available.
Agendas & Minutes
We are delighted to announce that the Town's FY19 Financial Plan was awarded the Distinguished Budget Presentation (PDF) by the Government Finance Officers Association (GFOA).
Aaa Bond Rating Reaffirmed
We are pleased to announce that on March 11, 2019, Moody's reaffirmed the Town's Aaa bond rating. Brookline is one of just 14 communities in Massachusetts that has been assigned the Aaa rating by Moody's. You can access the report here (PDF).
Statement of the Select Board
Please read the Brookline Select Board Statement (PDF) dated February 7, 2017 regarding the Town of Brookline's status as a Sanctuary Town.