- Boards & Commissions
- Select Board
- Bernard Greene (Chair, term expiring 2024)
- John VanScoyoc (Vice Chair, term expiring 2026)
- Miriam Aschkenasy (term expiring 2024) @(Model.BulletStyle == CivicPlus.Entities.Modules.Layout.Enums.BulletStyle.Decimal ? "ol" : "ul")>
- Michael Sandman (term expiring 2025)
- Paul Warren (term expiring 2026) @(Model.BulletStyle == CivicPlus.Entities.Modules.Layout.Enums.BulletStyle.Decimal ? "ol" : "ul")>
The Select Board is currently reviewing many policy initiatives and items that come before them at their weekly meetings.
At their meeting on July 6, 2021, the Select Board reviewed an initial presentation on the Town's approach to the American Rescue Plan. While a more robust site for the public to follow this process is in the works, community members can review the initial presentation here:
American Rescue Plan Presentation to Select Board
The Select Board is working on a letter to the legislature in support of H.3706 An Act Relative to Improving Safety on the Roads of the Commonwealth & S. 1376 An Act Relative to Automated Enforcement. Members of the public can review the draft letter here.
On Tuesday, March 16, a horrific act of violence was committed in Atlanta, Georgia which resulted in the loss of 8 lives, six of whom were Asian women. The Select Board is working on a statement to show support and solidarity with the Asian community (linked here for the public to review).
As licensing authority of the Town, the Select Board received a report of the investigation by Police Lieutenant Paul Cullinane on the possible diversion of cannabis at the Sanctuary establishment in Coolidge Corner. The details and outcome of this investigation were challenged by members of the community, so the Police Department initiated a review of Lt. Cullinane’s investigation. This review was also challenged, so the Select Board authorized its chair, Bernard Greene, and retired Judge Paul Yee to independently review the security video of the incident and Lt. Cullinane’s investigation. With this information in hand, and with the state Cannabis Control Commission taking possession of the video and investigatory materials, the Acting Chief of Police has recommended that the matter be closed. The initial investigation by Lt. Cullinane, the internal review by Lt. Campbell, the reports of Bernard Green and Judge Yee, and Acting Chief Morgan’s memo are all linked here for public review.
As the Chief Elected and Executive Officers of the town, the Select Board are vested with all the municipal authority not specifically retained by the town's legislative body, Town Meeting. The Select Board appoint a Town Administrator, responsible for the daily management of the town, whose powers are specified in Chapter 270 of the Acts of 1985, as amended.
The Select Board:
- Issue the warrants for Town Meetings and make recommendations on the warrant articles
- Initiate legislative policy by inserting articles in Town Meeting warrants
- Implement the votes subsequently adopted
- Adopt town administrative policies
- Review and set fiscal guidelines for the annual operating budget and the 6-Year Capital Improvements Program
- Make recommendations to Town Meeting on the budget and Capital Improvements Program
- Appoint department heads and members of most official boards and commissions
- Serve as Police Commissioners for the Town as outlined by Massachusetts State Law
- Hold public hearings on important town issues and periodic conferences with agencies under their jurisdiction and with community groups
- Represent the town before the General Court and in all regional and metropolitan affairs
- Enforce town by-laws and regulations
- Serve as the licensing board responsible for issuing and renewing over 600 licenses in more than 20 categories, including common victualler, food vendor, liquor, lodging house, open-air parking lot, inflammables, special events, and entertainment
The Select Board meets every Tuesday evening, unless otherwise posted (summer meeting schedule may vary). Location: Select Board Hearing Room, 6th Fl., Brookline Town Hall, 333 Washington Street.
Select Board meetings are broadcast live by Brookline Interactive Group.
The Select Board Hearing Room is fully accessible and assistive listening devices are available.