About the Board
The Brookline Transportation Board was formed in 1974 by an act of the State Legislature to administer all matters relating to parking and transportation on the public ways within the town. As outlined in this enabling legislation, the Transportation Board "may adopt, alter or repeal rules and regulations, not inconsistent with general law as modified by this act, relative to pedestrian movement, vehicular and bicycle traffic in the streets and in the town-controlled public off-street parking areas in the town, and to the movement, stopping, standing or parking of vehicles and bicycles on, and their exclusion from, all or any streets, ways, highways, roads, parkways and public off-street parking areas under the control of the town, including rules and regulations designating any way or part thereof under such control as a through way under and subject to section 9 of chapter 89 of the General Laws."
The 6 members of the Transportation Board are appointed by the Select Board to staggered 3-year terms.
The Transportation Board has authority over the Traffic Rules and Regulations, including such issues as:
- Approval of Complete Streets Designs & Roadway Cross sections
- Approval of Safety Improvement & Traffic Calming Project Designs
- Approval of Pedestrian Safety Improvement Projects
- Approval of LIT (Lite Individual Transportation) Safety Improvement Projects including bicycles and other micro-mobility devices
- Approval of general parking prohibitions including Tow Zones and Designated Curbside Handicap Parking Spaces
- Approval of regulatory restrictions on the public way including one-way streets, truck exclusions, turning movement restrictions, stop signs, yield signs, etc.
- Approval of crosswalk locations, installation of pedestrian signals, and pedestrian phasing at signalized intersections
- Approval of Parking Meter locations, hours of operation, time limits, and rates
- Locations and programming of traffic signal systems
- Approval of Permit Parking regulations
- Licensing of Taxicabs, Liveries, Jitney Services, etc.
In addition to these duties, the Transportation Board takes a proactive role in implementing a multi-modal transportation network that prioritizes and promotes healthy and sustainable modes such as walking, biking, public transportation over single occupant vehicle trips to achieve the Select Board's Zero Carbon 2050 and Town Meeting's Healthy & Sustainable Mode Share goals. To help achieve this the Board has created three standing Advisory Committees:
and works closely with other Boards & Commissions including the Council on Aging, Commission on Disability, Climate Action Committee, and the Safe Routes to School Townwide Task Force.
Agendas & Minutes
The Board typically meets at 6:30 PM on the 3rd Wednesday of each month via Zoom. Find the specific dates below. Each meeting's agenda contains a link to join remotely via Zoom.
Agendas are available prior to the meetings. Minutes are available following approval.
Or watch our Meeting Recordings
2024 Meeting Dates
- January 17th, 6:30pm
- February 14th, 6:30pm
- March 20th, 6:30pm
- April 24th, 6:30pm
- May 15th, 6:30pm
- June 26th, 6:30pm
- July 17th, 6:30pm
- September 18th, 6:30pm
- October 16th, 6:30pm
- November 13th, 6:30pm
- December 18th, 6:30pm