Town Meeting voted to buy a lot from Thomas O'Donnell at Boylston Street and Pound Lane and voted to erect a building. In 1890, Andrews, Jacques, and Rantoul designed the new fire station. It was a double brick building with sleeping rooms and a 4-horse stable. The Hose Wagon 3 from Atkinson's stable (which he had allowed the town to use at no charge) on Heath Street was moved here. The new station was occupied beginning in January 1891. In 1900, this structure was remodeled inside and changed to face Reservoir Lane. During the period of remodeling, a temporary firehouse was put up.
From the Reed lot purchased in 1903 for the Heath School, land was allotted to build a new fire station. The Fire Chief stated in the Town Report that the new station would require 14 new privates and 2 new lieutenants. The new station replaced the wooden firehouse diagonally across the street on Pound Lane.
The Georgian Revival building (still standing) was designed by Strickland, Blodgett and Law. It was designed to be consciously colonial with colonial water-struck brick, limestone cornice, and door frames. Buckingham slate is on the roof. The outside lanterns were based on old models.