Hancock Village ZBA Case
RESIDENCES OF SOUTH BROOKLINE (ROSB)
ROSB is one of two projects at Hancock Village that have received Comprehensive Permits. Please visit the Puddingstone project page for files related to the second 40B project.
UPDATE: Request for Modification September 2019 "Mod 2"
- Proposed modifications include, but are not limited to setbacks, exchange of bedroom among units, and enclosure of roof deck on Asheville building.
- Revised Cover (15 parking spaces removed)
- OLD Cover Letter
- Outline of Changes (also Revised Cover Letter)
- Site Plans and with changes highlighted
- Revised-v2 Asheville Building Elevations, Plans
- Townhome Elevations and Plans
- Visit the Town Calendar for posts in accordance with the Open Meeting Law.
- September 6, 2019 - Applicant's Notice to ZBA
- September 25, 2019 - ZBA Administrative Decision to determine if the requested changes are insubstantial or substantial, pursuant to 760 CMR 56.05(11)
UPDATE: Request for Modification March 2019 "Mod 1"
UPDATE: SEPTEMBER 15, 2016
The Town of Brookline has initiated discussions with Chestnut Hill Realty to explore alternatives to the Residences of South Brookline project which has been approved and the Puddingstone at Chestnut Hill project that has been proposed at Hancock Village. Town officials and neighbors are involved in these discussions. No other development plans are being contemplated at Hancock Village in Brookline outside of these discussions and the ongoing public 40B process and litigation. The parties have agreed not to disclose the details of the discussions until there is mutual agreement that there has been significant progress. Any development proposals that arise out of this process would be subject to a full public permitting and approval process, including involvement by the Planning Board, Zoning Board of Appeals and possibly Town Meeting.
In November 2013, property owner Chestnut Hill Realty submitted a Comprehensive Permit Application (pursuant to MGL Chapter 40B) to the Zoning Board of Appeals. The project, called "The Residences of South Brookline," proposes to construct 192 rental units on a 9.3-acre parcel within the existing Hancock Village residential development on Independence Drive.
On January 16, 2014, the Zoning Board of Appeals opened the public hearing. On June 5, 2014, the Applicant presented a revised plan (184 units) that replaces the original plan submitted with the November 2013 application.
On January 12, 2015, the public hearing on this case was closed. The ZBA filed with the Town Clerk a Decision approving the project with 70 conditions on February 20, 2015 (161 units, 193 parking spaces, 333 bedrooms on 8.72 acres). On March 3, 2015, the Board of Selectmen submitted a letter to the ZBA in response to its Decision. On March 11, the Town filed a Complaint (PDF) to appeal the ZBA's decision (PDF).
All files related to the Hancock Village case can be accessed through this page. Please email Planning Director, Alison Steinfeld, if you have any questions.
Request for Modification: March 2019 - see submitted materials