General Wildlife Information

Viewing Wildlife

Viewing wildlife can be exciting and educational, but interactions with wildlife are not always desirable. Please always respect the wildlife that call Brookline home or are migrating through the area, for both their safety as well as your safety. This includes not feeding wildlife and keeping a safe distance from wildlife, particularly young animals and their parents.

For comprehensive information on the different species of wildlife that are present in Brookline, refer to our latest Open Space Plan, and go to the environmental inventory and analysis section.

For further information on wildlife in Massachusetts, including detailed fact sheets and wildlife-related recreational opportunities, visit Massachusetts Division of Fisheries and Wildlife website.

Hunting & Fishing

Please note that hunting is not allowed in Brookline. Public fishing is only allowed at the Brookline Reservoir, and requires a state fishing license, which can be obtained from the Brookline Town Clerk's Office.

Sick, Injured or Abandoned Wildlife

Please do not touch or attempt to move sick, injured or abandoned wildlife. Sick or injured animals may act defensively and you may inadvertently harm them further or put yourself in danger. Only licensed wildlife rehabilitators and some veterinarians may legally care for wildlife.

Young animals, such as baby birds or baby mammals, are rarely abandoned or orphaned by their parents. Usually parents are nearby and your presence near young animals may prevent their return or may attract predators to the young animals.

If you find sick, injured or abandoned wildlife, please call a professional for assistance. For further assistance, please contact the Animal Rescue League of Boston or a wildlife rehabilitator.

Wildlife Complaints

There are many measures that can be taken to reduce or prevent conflicts with wildlife. Some tips and resources are provided below. If you are unable to resolve a human-wildlife conflict, please seek professional assistance.

Remember that is illegal to trap, relocate or remove wildlife in most circumstances in Massachusetts. In addition, these methods are generally ineffective and will not solve wildlife conflicts over the long term. View information on why moving wildlife is harmful.

Licensed Problem Animal Control (PAC) Agents may be able to assist with removing wildlife or addressing conflicts in certain circumstances, such as when wildlife is in the act of causing damage or threatening personal safety. View information on PAC Agents.

Specific Animals

For specific information on eastern coyotes and other mammals, as well as Canada geese, wild turkeys and other birds, please view the specific wildlife information webpage.

Contact Information

For further assistance, please contact the Brookline Police Department and the Animal Control Officer at 617-730-2222, or contact MassWildlife, within the Massachusetts Division of Fisheries and Wildlife at 508-389-6300.