Green Dog Program Registration/Renewal Information
The off-leash Green Dog Program is open to all who register and pay the appropriate annual fee to participate. Green Dog Program fees cover the calendar year. Green dog tags will expire at the end of December each year and must be renewed for the following year. All dogs must be wearing a current green dog tag to take advantage of off-leash privileges. Guest permits may also be purchased at any time (see below). Registration forms can be found below.
Apply for or Renew Your Dog License & Green Dog Registration (Brookline Residents Only)
You can apply for or renew your dog license online. License renewals are processed through the Town Clerk's office. If you are renewing a previous license and have not done so online in the past, please email [email protected] with your name and the dog's name once your account has been created to attach previous records to your new account.
For more information on the online renewal process, please refer to the dog license renewals guide.
Program Fees and Registration Forms
Green Dog Program Annual Fees
|Type of Permit
|Resident Fee per Dog
|Non-Resident Fee per Dog
|Brookline Commercial Dog Walker Fee
|Non-Brookline Commercial Dog Walker Fee
All dogs must be registered for the program to participate, including dogs being taken off-leash by dog walkers.
Guest Permit Fees
|Type of Permit
|Fee Per Dog
|1 Week Permit
Form & Payment Return Information:
Green Dog Program
c/o Town Clerk's Office
333 Washington Street
Brookline, MA 02445
Forms may be returned by mail or in person.
The Town Clerk's Office is open:
Monday - Wednesday 8a.m. - 5p.m.,
Thursday 8a.m. - 8p.m., and
Friday 8a.m. - 12:30p.m.
Sign up forms are also available at the Town Clerk's Office, by calling us at 617-879-5650, or via email at [email protected].
Brookline Residents Registration
There are 2 ways for residents to register for the Green Dog Program:
- Residents can sign up for the program when licensing their dog(s). This is the easiest and quickest way for residents to register their dog(s). Simply check off the Green Dog Program sign up on the dog license form and return with the appropriate fee to the Town Clerk’s Office. The Town Clerk’s Office sends dog license renewals to existing dog owners at the beginning of every year. If you are registering a new dog, or have just moved to Brookline, you can license your dog and sign up for the Green Dog Program at the Town Clerk’s Office at Town Hall, 333 Washington St., on the 1st floor. Note: State law requires that all dogs over 6 months are licensed every year. Residents will receive 1 combined dog license / green dog tag, which must be worn by your dog.
- If you have already licensed your dog(s), you can still choose to participate in the program at a later time. Simply download the appropriate resident sign up form (PDF). Fill out the sign up form, including information on your dog(s), and return with appropriate fee to the address below. Residents who are signing up after licensing will receive 1 combined dog license / green dog tag, which will replace your existing dog license tag, and must be worn by your dog.
Nonresidents are also welcome to register for the Green Dog Program. First, you must license your dog(s) in your hometown.* Nonresidents will receive a green dog tag, which must be worn by your dog in addition to a current dog license tag.
Note: State law requires that all dogs over 6 months are licensed every year.
How to Apply/Renew Online
- First, register an account on our online permit portal, Accela. Follow this guide:
you may skip this step if you already have an account.
Guide to Registering
- Then, open our guide to apply for a license or renew an existing license on Accela.
Guide to Applying
Guide to Renewing
- Click the following link to open Accela and follow the steps in the Guide to Applying/Renewing.
How to Apply/Renew by Mail
- Simply download the nonresident sign-up form (PDF).
- Fill out the sign up form, including information on your dog(s)
- Return the form to the address below with:
- The appropriate fee,
- A copy of current dog license, and
- A copy of current rabies vaccination
Nonresidents will receive a green dog tag, which must be worn by your dog in addition to a current dog license tag.
Commercial Dog Walkers Registration
Commercial dog walkers are also welcome to register for the Green Dog Program. Signing up for the Green Dog Program gives dog walker businesses the opportunity to take their clients’ dogs off-leash. All dogs must be registered for the program to participate, including dogs being taken off-leash by commercial dog walkers. Dog owners are responsible for registering their dogs for the program. Commercial dog walkers are responsible for registering their business.
Dog walkers should simply download the dog walker sign up form (PDF). Fill out the sign up form for your business, and return with appropriate fee to the address below. Commercial dog walkers will receive 2 green dog permits for their business, which must be kept on hand whenever participating in the Green Dog Program.
Note that everyone, including dog walkers, is limited to 3 off-leash dogs per person at a time. The green dog permits you receive will allow 2 employees, if applicable, to take up to 3 dogs off-leash per person at a time. If a dog walker business has additional employees, more permits must be purchased. Permits may only be used by employees of the business the permit is issued to.
Guest Permits Registration
Guest permits are also available for visitors. A 2-day permit costs $5, and a 1 week permit costs $10. All dogs must be licensed and have a current rabies vaccination to participate in the off-leash program. To request a guest permit, simply download the guest sign-up form (PDF). Fill out the sign up form, and return with appropriate fee, a copy of current dog license, and a copy of current rabies vaccination to the address below. Guests will receive a guest permit, which must be kept on hand whenever participating in the Green Dog Program.
If you are in need of financial assistance, please complete the financial assistance application (PDF).