Sign up online to receive notifications regarding the Building Committee for the 9th Elementary School at Baldwin.
There will be a public meeting regarding the 9th Elementary School at Baldwin project on Monday, January 9th at 7pm at the Brookline High School Auditorium. All are welcome to attend.
In response to concerns raised about overcrowding by community members at the 9th school public meeting on January 4th, this meeting has been moved to the largest available space in the district, the Brookline High School auditorium. This meeting was originally scheduled to be held at the Heath School Auditorium which has a capacity of 200 people. The BHS auditorium holds nearly 1,000 people. The Building Committee, the School Department, and Jonathan Levi Architects will provide a complete update on the timeline, process, and objectives of the Feasibility Phase. The meeting will include public comment. Community members are also invited to ask questions and share their ideas on the project.
With the final selection of the Baldwin School site as the location of Brookline's 9th elementary school, the project is now in the Feasibility Study phase. During this phase, Jonathan Levi Architects (JLA) will be working with the 9th School Building Committee, the School Committee as the user agency, the Building Department, and numerous town commissions and departments including Parks and Open Space, the Building Commission, the Recreation Department, and the Transportation Board to more deeply analyze the site specific considerations of this site. During the Feasibility Study phase JLA will create design options for the size, configuration and location of the school on the Baldwin site. The outcome of this phase will be the Building Committee's selection of a preferred design concept that will then move the project forward into the Schematic Design phase.
The members of the 9th School Building Committee represent a broad range of constituencies and experiences, including parents, community members who live near the Baldwin School site, elected officials, and Town and School Department Staff. The first meeting of this committee will be on Monday, November 30 at 8:00 a.m. in Room 103 of Town Hall. At this initial meeting the Building Committee will create a schedule of their upcoming meetings. All meetings of the Building Committee are open to the public.
The members of the 9th Elementary School Building Committee are:
- David Pollak, Co-Chair – School Committee
- Nancy Daly, Co-Chair – Board of Selectmen
- Janet Fierman, Co-Chair – Building Commission
- Melvin Kleckner - Town Administrator
- Clara Batchelor – Parks and Recreation Commission
- Daniel Bennett - Building Commission
- Blair Hines - Greater Baldwin Neighborhood Representative and Brookline Planning Board Member
- Steven Brooks – Greater Baldwin Neighborhood Representative
- John Co - School Parent Community Representative
- David Gacioch - School Parent Community Representative
- Andrew Bott - Superintendent of Schools
- Mary Ellen Dunn - Deputy Superintendent of Administration and Finance
- Nicole Gittens – Deputy Superintendent of Teaching and Learning
- AC Sevelius – Interim Principal, Heath School
- Ray Masak – Project Manager, Building Department
JLA will complete the Feasibility Study by May 2017. JLA has already begun the initial outreach and work with staff to develop the action plan, timeline and deliverables for this phase of the project. The timeline and process for the Feasibility Study - including all scheduled public meetings - will be posted here in the upcoming weeks.