The Town has received several complaints about disruption, safe pedestrian activity and access to residences and businesses (including the Village Way housing development) as a result of the multiple construction projects in Brookline Village. There are 5 separate projects going on in this general vicinity, including: 1.) the residential building at 20 Boylston Street (the former Dunkin Donuts); 2.) the Brookline Place Children’s Hospital development; 3.) the hotel project at Brookline Avenue/Washington St and River Rd; 4.) the Gateway East project along the Washington St (Rte 9) corridor and intersecting roadways from High St east to Pond Av/River Rd.; and 5.) the Pearl Street reconstruction and transportation improvements.
Despite the presence of intense construction activity, the Town is committed to provide safe and compliant routes for pedestrians, bikers and vehicles to safely traverse the area. The following strategies are being employed:
• Coordination between public and private contractors
• Establish alternative pedestrian paths of travel with effective edges, signage and surface
• Individualized support by detail police officers on scene
• Temporary detours, restricted access and one-way limitations for vehicular traffic
• Parking restrictions and travel lane reductions within construction zones
Interested parties may contact Bill Smith, Construction Project Coordinator, in the Department of Public Works, Engineering/Transportation Division, at (617) 264-6480 or email email@example.com to learn more or to provide information/suggestions.