What should I do with yard waste?

Yard waste is defined as leaves, grass clippings, shrub trimmings, plant cuttings and non-woody organic garden waste only. Brush is defined as wood waste from bushes and trees that is less than 3 inches in diameter. Materials such as dirt, sand, sod, rocks, stumps or trunks will not be accepted.

Pieces of brush must be no more than 3 inches in diameter and no more than 3 feet long. Brush must be tied and bundled in lengths of 3 feet or less and weigh no more than 50 pounds per bundle. Brush not meeting the above criteria will not be accepted. For yard waste, biodegradable paper yard waste bags are available for purchase at the Home Depot or at your local hardware store. Prices and availability may vary. You don’t necessarily have to put yard waste in the special biodegradable bags. You can put them in barrels clearly marked “Yard Waste” and leave them out on the same day that your trash is collected during the weeks that yard waste is collected. Yard waste stickers are available at the Town Hall 4th floor or the Municipal Service Center at 870 Hammond St.

No plastic bags are acceptable. The paper bags are used because they are more cost efficient to pick up and are known to be biodegradable, thus saving the town (and the taxpayer) money in collection costs. Please call the Sanitation Department at 617-730-2156 if you have questions.

Show All Answers

1. When is my trash and recycling picked up?
2. Where does my trash and recycling go?
3. How do I get a blue recycling cart?
4. What happens if my collection day falls on a holiday?
5. What do I do with my hazardous waste?
6. What do I do with my hazardous waste in the winter?
7. Are there any restrictions on what I can put in my trash?
8. What are special pickups?
9. Who do I call if I see illegal dumping?
10. What should I do with yard waste?