John E. Murphy Playground
- Basketball Courts
- SplashPad/Water Play Area
The park is bowl shaped with a noticeable grade change, retaining walls on 3 sides, and a sloped grass surface. Play equipment, furniture, and entry points are located on 2 sides. Park recreational facilities include basketball key, tot lot, and spray pool.
Originally the Brook Street lot, the town bought this site in 1915. In 1971, it was named after John E. Murphy, a former Park and Recreation Commissioner. The playground changed substantially in 1971 when tot play equipment, a basketball hoop and swings were added. In 1993, it was rebuilt under the town-mandated design review committee's supervision, using Community Development Block Grant funds. In 1998, the drainage problem on the play area was corrected by the Water and Park Departments.
Deed / Title / Restrictions
The town purchased the property from Harriet A. Howe and Percival S. Howe in 1915 with no known restrictions.
- Category: Neighborhood Park
- Size: 0.51 acres
- Protection: Article 97
- Manager: Brookline DPW, Parks and Open Space Division
- Location: Kent Street and Brook Street
- Precinct: 4
- Inventory Date: October 27, 2004, revised February 1, 2005
- Vicinity: Surrounded by neighborhood streets