Who do I contact to complain about a problem?

Contact your cable company 617-731-1343 for Comcast, or 800-746-4726 for RCN and provide all pertinent information about your situation.

When talking to your cable company, be sure to get the name of the people you talk with and keep copies of any correspondence from them. If you do not receive a satisfactory response, ask to speak with a supervisor.

Show All Answers

1. What cable service providers operate in the Town of Brookline?
2. How do I contact them for service?
3. Who do I contact to complain about a problem?
4. If the problem continues unresolved, what is my next step?
5. How do I obtain service if I live in a multiple dwelling unit?
6. Can the town negotiate a better rate?
7. Does the town have any control over programming?
8. Are there any discounts for senior citizens?
9. How can I get cable information from the Federal Communications Commission (FCC)?