Corey Hill Playground
- Green Dog Park
- Picnic Tables
- SplashPad/Water Play Area
The most significant attribute of this park is its hilltop location and striking view of Boston and Cambridge. The park is divided in 2 by Summit Avenue. This potential disruption is ameliorated by the mature oaks and maples that line both edges of the street, clearly defining the sides of the park. The southern parcel contains a playground and the northern parcel has a sundial and large open sloped lawn.
The first improved road to the park property was built in 1869. Corey Hill Park was purchased in several transactions between 1900 and 1917. In 1925, the view from the park was threatened by a proposal to construct buildings on lots on the north side. As a result, the town recommended protecting the park and view by acquiring its adjacent lots. The town reconstructed both sections of the park between 1985 - 1989. The sundial memorial in the northern parcel is dedicated to Shirley Sidd, former town treasurer.
Deed / Title / Restrictions
The town purchased 46,021 square feet of the property from Gardner Beals in 1900 "to be kept open for 20 years," which later formed part of the northern parcel of the park. Another 92,778 square feet purchased from William Maynard in 1916 to be kept open for park purposes for a period of not less than 20 years from the date hereof later formed the southern parcel. However, there is an anomaly regarding Lot 20 and a Frances Richards regarding the selling and reselling of the property for $41.10 in 1917. The town purchased 24,450 square feet from Old Colony Tr. Co. et al and another 20,450 square feet from Gilbert V. Pennock. Both these lots were added to the northern parcel and their transactions were undated.
- Size: 4.16 acres
- Protection: Article 97
- Precinct: 11
- Inventory Date: October 28, 2004, revised February 1, 2005 and August 15, 2018
- Vicinity: Bisected by Summit Avenue on top of the hill, surrounded by a single-family neighborhood and condo buildings